Sunday 9 November 2014

Strawberries, Cream and Cheese.

I love Cheese.

I say this at least once a week. 

Possibly because I eat cheese at least once a week.

Cheese is a staple and part of my five favourite food groups including Tomato, Potato, Bread, Butter - a combination of all of these would send me into food coma heaven.

Give me a tangy cheddar to go with a hot salami or water crackers with a sliver of sweet soft nutty brie and you've already won me over. But today we play with sweet cheese. To be precise, marscapone.

Marscapone's soft, malleable texture and smooth creamy consistency works well into sweets and desserts a plenty, the most well known is the Italian classic, Tiramisu.

Sick of over priced, poorly assembled cakes we took it upon ourselves to make one of our own for my sister's birthday. And so the trusted Women's Weekly recipe book is brought out and the sponge cake recipe we found was used as a foundation for the below.




Strawberry Marscapone Cream Sponge Cake.

Four layers of vanilla sponge, each smeared with marscapone vanilla cream covered with a fan of sweet sliced strawberries and sandwiched together with extra whipped cream. Toasted flaked almonds to give it a bit of texture and  extra sweet strawberries I bought from the markets to add the extra 'icing on the cake'. 


Of course everyone saved room for dessert and I found myself pondering the following post cake consumption:

My mum is a demon with a balloon whisk - she makes better whipped cream than any handheld mixer.

How on earth do they coat the sides of cakes with toasted flaked almonds? This was a three man job and even so, almonds were flying everywhere. 

There better be some left tomorrow.

Oh, and I really love cheese.







No comments:

Post a Comment