Tuesday 23 April 2013

BROTHER.

BROTHER.
Menora, Perth.
Wednesday Luncheon.


So on this awfully overcast and humid day I meet two of my fellow food foragers at BROTHER.

BROTHER is located on of the busiest streets in what we can call Mount Lawley, Walcott st. Adjunct to a bottle shop, I have driven past it several times before but have not noticed it. Only the night before, I had performed the random Urbanspoon troll through maps and happened to find this little gem of a cafe.

ATMOSPHERE.

BROTHER's interior is fairly small but has a pleasant alfresco area where one can enjoy a good brew, breakfast or lunch. Greeted with a warm welcome we were the only other table besides an elderly couple which we could tell were regular Food Foragers of BROTHER. A high chair large share table  was located in the right corner next to a interesting feature wall with an inlaid staggered bookcase holding magazines and newspapers. The left side of the cafe however was quite stark in comparison. With basic cafe seating and a large mirror, it could do with the same coat of paint or extra fixtures to create an equal flow throughout the cafe. We did choose to sit outside as there was a slight breeze blowing making it quite pleasant to be enjoy our meal outside rather than in. 

Throughout our meal we had several people pop in and out for coffee and a catch up. Many an old couple and group of elderly ladies gathered for gossip and a good coffee. We placed our order at the counter laden with clear domes filled with cakes and slices to satisfy sweet cravings.

FOOD.

Informed that both lunch and breakfast menus were available, indecision set in quickly as many items seemed to wrestle to win my favour. I enjoyed the sounds of the Specials of the Day, Zuppa di Pesce, Lamb Ragu with Penne and the Steak Sandwich with onion jam, mustard and salad. 

However BROTHER's enticing breakfast selections including the omelettes (Goat's feta, spinach and pine nuts/ Ham, mozzarella, Parmesan and herbs) and the apple pancakes with maple syrup butter, were also big contenders.

BAKED EGGS
I settled on the Baked Eggs however which was greeted with a resounding 'good choice'. Imagine eggs which are perfectly poached in a shallow pan filled with homemade baked beans in a rich tomato sauce. Beautifully topped off with melted vintage cheese and served with crusty sliced soft bread pieces toasted off with butter to add the extra flavour element to the dish. Complete satisfaction ensues. Tomato and cheese make for a perfect combination which many a food forager find hard to pass on.


BLUEBERRY AND MAPLE FRENCH TOAST
And as always my sweet desire gets the better of me and so I also ordered  the French toast. If you judge me to be over zealous then by all means I am but with no regrets. I was told it was a big serve and when it came out it was so. However as always, I share. Forcefully.

Given the option of banana or blueberry (also a tough decision) I chose the latter. Out comes said dish laden with a mountain of glistening blueberries on a tower of french toast drizzled in maple syrup which was already beginning to form a sweet pool around two dollops of freshly whipped cream. The thick slices of toast had a delicious crispy outside and soft egg soaked cooked interior. Combined with the sweetness of the maple syrup and blueberries and lightness of the cream, I say c'est bon!My only regret was not finishing it as I was already carrying a food baby from my first dish.

LINGUINE CARBONARA
My two fellow food foragers had chosen the smoked salmon salad and the linguine carbonara. I had not a chance to taste either of their dishes (as I was happily devouring my own) but both had left their dishes picked clean. 

SMOKED SALMON SALAD

I had also had a accompanying skinny cappuccino which was slightly bitter as first but disappeared as I gave it a stir and kept with it.

SERVICE.

The owners were present to take our order and after placing our order our our coffee and tea came out quite promptly.

We had time to enjoy our drinks before our food arrived all at the same time. We did have lunch mid week so I would not expect anything less with only one other table dining already and no other orders.

Our plates were cleared at an appropriate time and both owners and waiter present were polite, prompt and courteous.

OVERALL.

With substantial portions and reasonable prices, I would gladly come back to BROTHER to have brunch/luncheon. However, I am unsure whether the weekend experience will be the same as mid week. Our meal was delicious and just the thought of their blueberry french toast makes me lick my lips.

BROTHER is calling out your name. 


No comments:

Post a Comment