Wednesday 10 September 2014

Reminiscing Reuben.


 On the corner of Eighth Avenue and Whatley Crescent in Maylands you will find a one of the busiest brunch cafes in Perth, Mrs S.

Known for its good coffee and good food,  Mrs S also shares a love for puppies, kittens, flowers and pretty things. Serving breakfast, lunch and cakes-a-plenty, if you turn up late on a weekend you are bound to wait a while for a free table.

Enter inside and you'll find its homely interior is decked out with a mix of shared benches and odd tables with small vases of fresh flowers and kitchen/home accessories for sale scattered and perched about the place - I always have to stop myself from purchasing the odd apron or tea towel. If you would like to bring your beloved canine friend, external seating caters for such an outing. A giant chalkboard inside denotes the refreshments for the day and as we are seated, the waiter presents us the menu in old children books clipped down with an old peg.  Told to line up to order at the counter when you are ready,  you cannot help but peruse the many cakes, slices and muffins they have for sale to satisfy any sweet tooth.

The interior is abuzz with many a catch up and conversation including our own as our ordered coffees arrive promptly.


The coffee is fresh, hot and brewed well and our meals are brought out shortly after.

Mrs S's Avocado Smash.
Toasted Ciabatta/Poached Egg/Avocado/Rocket/Spinach/Fetta Crumble/Pine Nuts/Pesto/Coriander
A warm not overly crunchy thick slice of Ciabatta bread served with a generous amount of smashed avocado. The poached egg is perfectly runny and the peppery rocket works well with the sharp tang of the fetta and the crunch of the toasted pine nuts. Add  the pesto and you've got a great green combo.
Though quite happy with my Avocado Smash I cannot help but reminisce on the Reuben Sandwich I had last time I visited Mrs S.


Mrs S's Reuben Sandwich.

Corned beef/Red Cabbage Slaw/ Pickles/Sunny Side Egg/Tabasco Sauce/Slice of Rye

I can remember the hot splash of Tabasco, the saltiness of the corned beef, the sour sweet of the red cabbage slaw and the pickles mixed with the runny yolk on freshly baked rye. This sandwich combined my love of cured meats with sour, sweet and hot altogether tantalising my taste buds with each bite.

As far as I could tell and to my dismay, it was no longer on the menu. 
I think I may have to recreate my own version of the Reuben. 

Nonetheless I will be back to Mrs S in the future and if you have not called on her yet, I urge you to do so.




No comments:

Post a Comment