Tuesday 9 September 2014

The Humble Boiled Egg.


In my household my mum does most if not all the cooking. The only 'cooking' my dad does and does very well is boiling eggs. The one time he tried to cook, it was in short - a bit of a disaster. My mum knows this. I know this. And so if you want boiled eggs, you can count on my dad to make perfect boiled eggs.

Unlike poached eggs which I prefer more soft and runny, I prefer my boiled eggs just at the point where the yolk is almost set. The egg white has formed, but splits with ease to reveal the encased bright yellow yolk ready to be eaten with glee. 

I found one unclaimed cooked and cooled egg in the fridge and whisked it away to be eaten with aforementioned glee.



Honey Ham/Deli Hot Shaved Salami/Slice of Tasty Cheese/Quarter of a Fresh Avocado/Fresh Tomato Slices/One Boiled egg -yolk just set/Freshly Baked Roll 

The saltiness of the deli meats always works well with the sharpness of the cheese and the fresh sweetly acidic tomato, whilst the avocado provides a smooth and nutty texture with the creamy yellow yolk. 

I savoured each single bite. So much so I made one the next day as well. 

I think it is rare to find any brunch/breakfast haunts that have boiled eggs on their menu. A possible exception - Mary St Bakery with their Eggs and Soldiers [cut egg crates cradling two soft boiled eggs served with crisp cut pieces of buttered soldier toast].

So I appeal to you to sometimes forget about the frying/scrambling/poaching/baking and pick the humble boiled egg. 
So simple yet so satisfying in its own yolky way.

No comments:

Post a Comment